eMoneySpace
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: Earn your money online safely here at eMoneySpace. May 25, 2022 01:25 PM

Which language has most words
Print
Author Topic: Which language has most words  (Read 430 times)
abellay

Referrals: 0

View Profile
Jan 16, 2022 09:05 AM

This is an interesting but, ultimately, fairly meaningless question. (Also, it isn't obviously related to the original point about English being "most rational, and sophisticated")

The problem is, mainly, how do you define a word. Do you count inflections as separate words: e.g are "dog" and "dogs" one word or two. What about different meanings: "dog" the animal versus the verb "to dog"; and what about all the different meanings of that verb. And then the conjugations of the verb (dog, dogs, dogged, dogging, etc). Is a hyphenated term one word or two (or more).

If you decide that the forms of a verb are separate words, then what about languages that have more complex verbs forms, or those that gave none.

Then, English uses a sequence of separate words to express a concept while Japanese, for example, uses a single word with multiple suffixes (e.g. "I did not want to eat" vs. "tabetakunakatta"). Does that make English or Japanese more "sophisticated?

Then again, English has lots of irregular verbs (it sometimes like they are all irregular) whereas Japanese has only two common ones. So which is more "rational"?
duremars

View Profile
Reply #1: Jan 16, 2022 09:08 AM

Strange, your post is sophistry!
flexomob

View Profile
Reply #2: Jan 16, 2022 09:08 AM

English is a candidate for having the largest vocabulary, because the Oxford English Dictionary contains over 300,000 entries, more than most dictionaries in any other language. But I also know that German and Dutch have a huge vocabulary too. For example, the Dutch Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal contains 430,000 entries or the Academic Dictionary of Lithuanian which has 20 volumes and over half a million words. I am really not sure what language has the largest vocabulary but I am still stuck at learning basic Portuguese lol.
Print

Jump to:  
Copyright © 2008-2022 eMoneySpace. All rights reserved.