eMoneySpace
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: Earn your money online safely here at eMoneySpace. Aug 14, 2022 12:27 pm

Hosting website at home?
Print
Author Topic: Hosting website at home?  (Read 2633 times)
7Skynet

Referrals: 2

I don't know what this Power is... I just know It

View Profile
Aug 19, 2012 10:44 pm

It's possible to run a hosting server with linux
at home, and keep a site .com or .net online without reliance on external hosting?
If the answer is YES someone please tell me step by step of what equipment i need to have
thanks.
SnoorkAdvertiser

Referrals: 0

View Profile WWW
Reply #1: Aug 20, 2012 04:45 am

Hosting a site at home may not be the best idea:

1. Slow Internet connection

2. No redundancy (Internet & Power)

3. Most ISP's do not allow it

4. No security, unless you have some kind of hardware firewall

5. If you would get DDoS attacked, your ISP will cut your internet connection off.

6. etc...

You can get hosting now days for only few dollars a month and get full advantages of it. Hosting a site at home is not worth it.

For Windows OS you can install WAMP (http://www.wampserver.com/en/) and run your site on it. For Linux OS, I would recommend CentOS.

Snoork Hosting - Enterprise PTC Web Hosting | DDoS Protected
99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
Check Out Our PTC Web Hosting Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions
7Skynet

I don't know what this Power is... I just know It

View Profile
Reply #2: Aug 20, 2012 06:09 am

my ISP allowed it
i have for this project a dedicated line 100 mb download and 32 mb upload.
i have a powerful computer with the last linux centOs
Intel Core i7-3930K  C2 - 16 GB Ram 2 terabyte HD - 10.000 rpm
i will use static ip
and a best firewall..

but i dont know how to configure it Cry
SnoorkAdvertiser

View Profile WWW
Reply #3: Aug 20, 2012 06:50 am

Great! Now, a 100 Mbps would be your incoming connection, which you won't be utilizing much to serve your content online. The 32 Mbps connection is what you are looking at. Lets say a user is downloading a 200 MB file from your site, the highest download speed the user will be able to get would be around 3 MB/s, which is fine as long as users won't be downloading files on your site as it will saturate your 32 Mbps line very quickly.

I have to give it to you that you have a good hardware, not a server grade hardware, but a very powerful computer hardware that should give you ton of power.

The setup is very simple, you just need to install CentOS 6 on the computer, which you can download from http://yum.phx.singlehop.com/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64/ and the simply install cPanel on the server, and you're done!

CentOS 6 - http://yum.phx.singlehop.com/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64/

Make sure you configure your network on the CentOS installation and create correct partitions.

Partitions - http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/InstallationGuide/AdvancedOptions#Advanced%20partitioning

cPanel Installation - http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/11_30/InstallationGuide/InstallingCpanel#Installing%20cPanel%20%20WHM

balmohan

Referrals: 1

Its always aweasome

View Profile
Reply #4: Aug 24, 2012 07:25 am

Great! Now, a 100 Mbps would be your incoming connection, which you won't be utilizing much to serve your content online. The 32 Mbps connection is what you are looking at. Lets say a user is downloading a 200 MB file from your site, the highest download speed the user will be able to get would be around 3 MB/s, which is fine as long as users won't be downloading files on your site as it will saturate your 32 Mbps line very quickly.

I have to give it to you that you have a good hardware, not a server grade hardware, but a very powerful computer hardware that should give you ton of power.

The setup is very simple, you just need to install CentOS 6 on the computer, which you can download from http://yum.phx.singlehop.com/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64/ and the simply install cPanel on the server, and you're done!

CentOS 6 - http://yum.phx.singlehop.com/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64/

Make sure you configure your network on the CentOS installation and create correct partitions.

Partitions - http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/InstallationGuide/AdvancedOptions#Advanced%20partitioning

cPanel Installation - http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/11_30/InstallationGuide/InstallingCpanel#Installing%20cPanel%20%20WHM

Nice INFO

I was looking something like this

If i want to install DDOS Protection What should I need to do?

and which cent os version is best to use

prathamesh

View Profile WWW
Reply #5: Aug 24, 2012 07:40 am

I think for a normal Website to run very easily you need to have the following :-

you are okay with the ram and the storage  you mentioned  Smiley 1  tb storage would also be quite enough  Tongue Tongue Tongue
but i think i7 is not the one made for servers you need to have Xeon quad core processors and yaah the main thing  you mentioned your speed
I think for your best results fraction  T3 is best for servers   which you have  i suppose . but rest if you want to use it for personal use you can surely  move with this project  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Technical Support
o9L Networks
O9l provides all the services required to create a brand website . The services include domain names, hosting's, email , website builders, Seo, Sem, Brand Marketing etc
yutou

Referrals: 4

It works!

View Profile WWW
Reply #6: Aug 24, 2012 08:27 am

Thanks for the nice info. Snoork  thumbs up

Stellar Address: gfm88DxXViSYoJALYvUFnKroxRRZyt3UgY
SnoorkAdvertiser

View Profile WWW
Reply #7: Aug 24, 2012 09:36 am

Nice INFO

I was looking something like this

If i want to install DDOS Protection What should I need to do?

and which cent os version is best to use

On a home based connection or T3 you won't survive a DDoS attack, as the attack will saturate your line, no matter if you have the most powerful firewall or any hardware. To give you a better understanding, to control a DDoS attack, you need to have a large enough Internet connection to withstand the attack, because if the attack will be larger than your Internet connection speed, you're out of luck. You cannot stop a DDoS attack, you can only control it. Firewalls, DDoS protection appliances, etc.. won't help you, as the line from your ISP will get fully saturated. For DDoS protection you need a data center that specializes in DDoS protection.

CentOS 6 is the way to go Smiley

CodeBeast

What doesn't kill you breaks you mentally.

View Profile
Reply #8: Aug 24, 2012 12:00 pm

I placed 4 dedicated servers with 50mbp/s dedicated port(each of them have its own 50mbp/s port) to attack my test VPS running centos 6 on a shared 100mbp/s port. My ddos protecting script combined with the firewall(ip tables ofcourse) successfully blocked the attack  Cool

It have to do with the setup,not with the large connection port.
auroraownerIWS

View Profile WWW
Reply #9: Aug 27, 2012 09:00 pm

I started building my office off the house in 2007 and finished in 2009 and bought dell poweredge in 2007 completely oblivious how to install an OS on it , took me 2 months to figure out how to install UBUNTU, took me another 2 months to figure out how to establish a connection with it, might have been 2 weeks, as I tried with a wifi adapter lol, which was retarded, so I plugged it in with ethernet cord. It worked fine, I did all my trafficera surfing with it. Main point is, I was building my office to make a data center LOL. I didnt get anywhere with it HAHAHA.
So now it sits on the floor in living room, as now the office is an apartment rented out now and my server is locked and I dont know where my key went to hahaha. LOL. I feel lucked out on this one LOL

-Mike
GPTInternet
SnoorkAdvertiser

View Profile WWW
Reply #10: Aug 29, 2012 03:02 pm

I placed 4 dedicated servers with 50mbp/s dedicated port(each of them have its own 50mbp/s port) to attack my test VPS running centos 6 on a shared 100mbp/s port. My ddos protecting script combined with the firewall(ip tables ofcourse) successfully blocked the attack  Cool

It have to do with the setup,not with the large connection port.

Do you think you can stop an attack with IP tables and software firewall that is saturating your line? I'm sorry, but you can't. When your line gets saturated due to the attack, you're out of luck unless your ISP can filter it in front of their equipment, so the packets can drop before reaching your line. You can block small attacks like connection wise attacks originating from IPs, but when you are taking about larger attacks like network attacks, you can't block it on the server level. Your only chance is to have your ISP filter it out, which could be extremely expensive. To be honest with you, I don't think they would even attempt to filter out the attack, as it would cost them thousands of dollars in bandwidth costs. They would probably just null-route your IP.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2012 03:04 pm by SnoorkAdvertiser » Logged

ellwar

View Profile
Reply #11: Oct 10, 2012 11:31 am

The Cloud is more than just the buzzword of the year. Itís a concept that underscores the future of computing and the Internet as we know it. Think of it like this: as more and businesses build websites and launch their online presence, and as more of their back end systems and shopping carts move online, the demand for cloud hosting, dedicated servers and managed hosting will continue to grow exponentially.For more info check out http://bit.ly/OTvnKw and see what Single Hop Hosting can offer you?
Print

Jump to:  
Copyright © 2008-2022 eMoneySpace. All rights reserved.